- 15 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic – cut into thick slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon halba or fenugreek seeds
- 1 big onion – sliced
- 1 tomato – cut into wedges
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish curry powder
- 1 tablespoon kurma curry powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (optional)
- 1 to 1/2 cups water
- 3 chillies – halved and seeded, or 6 bird’s eye chillies
- coriander leaves – cut into 5cm length
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat cooking oil in a pot and put in the fenugreek seeds. Once it starts popping, add the sliced onion and curry leaves. Fry a little until aromatic, the add the curry powder, salt and a little water. Allow to simmer until the oil surface.
- Add shallots, garlic and coconuts cream, if using, and water. Cover and simmer. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes, then put in the tomatoes, chillies and coriander leaves.
- Cook for another minute or two, turn off the fire and allow to stand for about an hour before serving to allow the curry to develop its flavour.